Schedule a free training with our Youth Genealogy Curriculum Coordinator and learn how you can implement the family history curriculum in your classroom.
Family History Curriculum
Expanding the reach of family history education
Developed by experts at American Ancestors/NEHGS, this free-to-access national curriculum is designed to expose students in grades 4 through 8 to the concepts, benefits, and joys of family history. Each lesson incorporates authentic methodologies used by professional genealogists, along with inclusive teaching strategies to ensure genealogy is accessible to all students.
Empower all students to discover their personal connection to history
- Inquiry-based lessons that align with the C3 Framework for Social Studies State Standards
- Inclusive teaching strategies to ensure genealogy is accessible to all students
- Authentic methodologies used by professional genealogists
- Flexible lessons with step-by-step instructions
- Culturally responsive primary sources and case studies
Free to Access
- Full curriculum and lesson-by-lesson downloads
- Editable student handouts
- Editable Google Slides presentation
- Case studies of historic figures
- And more!
This curriculum aims to empower students to explore family history in a safe way. All students, regardless of their background and family configuration, should be given an equal opportunity to develop critical skills to better understand themselves and the shared human experience.
- Empower students to develop critical research and thinking skills
- Empower teachers to effectively teach genealogy to all students
- Inspire the next generation of family historians
- Lesson plans target grades 4-8
- Teaching strategies target grades K-12
- C3 Framework for Social Studies State Standards
- Common Core State Standards
- NCSS National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies
- Language Arts and Social Studies State Standards
Teach Skills and Methodologies Used by Professional Genealogists
History Class Gets Personal (The Wanderer, February 1, 2024)
Old Rochester Regional High School Celebrates Students’ Findings in Genealogy Course (Old Rochester Regional School District, January 19, 2024)
Unraveling Roots: Cultivating Genealogy as an Instructive Journey (Maine Department of Education, August 2, 2023)
Essay Contest Celebrating Mayflower's 400th Anniversary Offers Prizes To Students (CBS News Boston, February 13, 2020)
Access the Curriculum